NOTE: With the limitations that Google placed on the data transferal process from G+, many comments were not retained. This archive is not intended as a complete archive, but for general reference only.
All images are hosted by their respective authors and may not show up within the "G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers" ARCHIVE, which imported text and image references only. More images may disappear over time, as their authors change or remove their hosting.
ALL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHT OF THEIR RESPECTIVE AUTHORS AND NO RIGHT TO COPY, USE OR DISTRIBUTE IS IMPLIED BY YOUR ABILITY TO VIEW THE IMAGES IN THIS ARCHIVE.

".

"...we don’t simply learn techniques, we explore and discuss ideas, we try different ways to express the things that are important to each of us, and most importantly we support each other as we grapple with change." ~ Chris Sutton

Terrific photos, Chris! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and images from your time in Alex Lapidus's "Blurs and Unsharp Photography" mentorship!

–––
For anyone who has read this far, consider mentoring someone else here (or more) ... some people don't even know where to start with their cameras and you could be the change they need in their lives. Even the smallest bit of knowledge can be passed on and you can create your mentorship in many different ways. Imagine the feeling of taking someone to their next level, paying forward the knowledge you've received and watching someone blossom with enthusiasm and accomplishment! Find out how you can get that feeling for yourself herehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AGAbjLwjUcY0ZiNHlHY2FoNlU/view?usp=sharing

Originally shared by Chris Sutton

Blurs and Unsharp Photography: Guided Play 2017

A selection of my favourite images produced in the course of this mentorship.


It’s sometimes difficult to understand the significance of things we do at the time we do them, and often a suitable distance and 20/20 hindsight are needed to put events in their proper context.

However, there’s no mistaking the changes that the last 8 weeks on the Blurs and Unsharp Photography mentorship have wrought, and my photographic direction has been turned around and around yet again.

I suspect I misread the title especially with regards to the word “play”. While play we did, it wasn’t mindless frivolity but intense discovery of a whole new visual language, and the essential tools needed to make use of that language.

Alex Lapidus and Heiko Mahr and a large cast of Blurs alumni were with us all the way, guiding and suggesting new ideas and approaches. To be frank I don’t know how Alex in particular found the time to be ever present as we worked our way through the various assignments (although the notion of cloning was raised on occasion :)) and words don’t adequately express my gratitude for the time, freely shared knowledge, and outright generosity of spirit that made this such an amazing experience.

I’ve been pondering what to write here over the last week or so, but last night I read the transcript of a 1973 interview with Henri Cartier Bresson where he rubbished the notion of photography schools and said instead that his colleagues in the Magnum Group were all they needed for critique and understanding of what they were doing. His description of the value of the Magnum Group seemed to me to be a good analogy for this and other mentorships, we don’t simply learn techniques, we explore and discuss ideas, we try different ways to express the things that are important to each of us, and most importantly we support each other as we grapple with change.

Which brings me to the mentees, too numerous to mention by name, but each and everyone of you was an inspiration. Individual photographic styles were irrelevant, we were all working out how to put the ideas and techniques we discussed to use in a way that serves our personal vision. Although I tried to comment as much as I could, it seemed inadequate compared to the time and effort that so many of you put into interacting with the group, and I deeply appreciate the time you put in.

I think at this stage I need to put my camera down for a while and simply spend some time reflecting on the ideas and work we’ve done over the last couple of months. Certainly I see blur techniques opening up whole new opportunities, and I’m particularly excited about the possibilities for landscape photography (just as well since I live in a rural area now). I also realised during this mentorship just how important street photography is to me, and again blur will be an enduring part of my toolkit.

My thanks again to Alex for all your inspiration and support, to Heiko who encouraged us to think differently, to Robin Griggs Wood and Ron Clifford who along with Alex keep these amazing mentorships going, and of course to all the alumni and mentees who made this such a rewarding experience.

For anybody considering applying for a mentorship, my advice is simply do it! In an age when buying a cup of coffee can be said to be life changing, it sounds trite to make such claims, but over the course of 2 years and several mentorship, I can say unequivocally that the G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers program has opened up new opportunities and directions for me that wouldn’t otherwise have happened.







Comments

  1. Beautiful album. I agree with Francoise I hope we all keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your words as much as viewing your images Chris Sutton!! This is a superb post in every sense!! Congratulations!! :))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment