.
... "yet another extremely fun, delightful and highly educational mentorship" ... "This has really been a worthwhile experience." ~ Alan Mason
Thank you for being such a worthy participant in Pam Boling's "Seeing Compositions" mentorship, Alan!
–––
For anyone who has read this far, consider mentoring someone else here (or more) ... some people don't even know where to start with their cameras and you could be the change they need in their lives. Even the smallest bit of knowledge can be passed on and you can create your mentorship in many different ways. Imagine the feeling of taking someone to their next level, paying forward the knowledge you've received and watching someone blossom with enthusiasm and accomplishment!
Originally shared by Alan Mason
Camel Comp Mentorship with Pam Boling
#Seecomp
Goodness gracious me!!! Where has the time in this Mentorship gone?
I came into the class thinking – ‘I know quite a bit about composition (hmmm, hmmm, hmmm – big deal eh?)!!’ - but little did I know just how much I still had to learn (and will continue to learn about) and I challenge a LOT of photographers out there who have not participated in a Mentorship of this kind and who think that composition is all about the Rule of Thirds, Triangles, Diagonals etc. to THINK AGAIN!!! Yes it does to a degree BUT there are SO many other disciplines to talk about and include amongst others: The Golden Spiral and Triangle, symmetry, balance, colour value, the rule of space – the list goes on.
Having completed 5 previous mentorships, I must say that for me, Seeing Composition and The Isolation Mentorship programmes were the most challenging. I was initially given the tools in Camera Basics: Beyond Auto – (CB:BA – 1 and 2) which allowed me to start photographing in FULL MANUAL mode. I now have full control over my camera allowing me to produce an image as to the way that I want it to turn out.
After my first two basic mentorships (CB:BA), I found myself taking lots and lots of photos - practicing all the time - but as the individual I was not 100% happy with the final result –I am a bit of a perfectionist, I suppose!
I then went on to complete the Blurs and Unsharp Photography: Guided Play mentorship and this is where my compositional skills started to evolve. I was now becoming more aware of what a photo (my photos) should look like.
I am a member of two camera clubs in Johannesburg and have progressed from a 1 Star worker to a 4 Star worker with 5 being the highest and each ‘group’ and each has their own set of 3 criteria that needs to be met to satisfy a judge to qualify for a top image. I see these as very good guidelines for photography in general and for each of my shots I always have the following in the back of my head:.
THE CRAFT comprises,
1) Correct Exposure
2) Focus
3) Correct Post Processing
4) Picture Clean and well Presented
THE ART comprises:
1) Mastery of COMPOSITION
2) Impact
3) Knowledge of how and when to crop
4) Show and understanding of line, form and shape
THE VALUES comprise:
1) Emotion
2) Feeling
3) Empathy
4) Originality and
5) Decisive Moment
If there is anything that anyone would like add to these and put them in your toolbox, please fell free to do so as you are most welcome!
Finally I would really like to thank Pam Boling and ALL her Moderators plus the G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers for the opportunity, and for choosing me to be able to participate in yet another extremely fun, delightful and highly educational mentorship – SEEING COMPOSITION!! I would also like to say HI (not BI), again to all my friends that I met on this adventure and to thank you for all your support, fun times and friendship. This has really been a worthwhile experience.
Here are some of my photos that I took during the past 7 weeks.
I hope that you enjoy them as much as I am about to enjoy yours!!!
STAY FOCUSSED AND SEE ALL OF YOU AROUND ON G PLUS
https://plus.google.com/photos/101538859664624123317/albums/6127546016364655569?authkey=CNy9uau6tOa_iAE
Thank you for being such a worthy participant in Pam Boling's "Seeing Compositions" mentorship, Alan!
–––
For anyone who has read this far, consider mentoring someone else here (or more) ... some people don't even know where to start with their cameras and you could be the change they need in their lives. Even the smallest bit of knowledge can be passed on and you can create your mentorship in many different ways. Imagine the feeling of taking someone to their next level, paying forward the knowledge you've received and watching someone blossom with enthusiasm and accomplishment!
Originally shared by Alan Mason
Camel Comp Mentorship with Pam Boling
#Seecomp
Goodness gracious me!!! Where has the time in this Mentorship gone?
I came into the class thinking – ‘I know quite a bit about composition (hmmm, hmmm, hmmm – big deal eh?)!!’ - but little did I know just how much I still had to learn (and will continue to learn about) and I challenge a LOT of photographers out there who have not participated in a Mentorship of this kind and who think that composition is all about the Rule of Thirds, Triangles, Diagonals etc. to THINK AGAIN!!! Yes it does to a degree BUT there are SO many other disciplines to talk about and include amongst others: The Golden Spiral and Triangle, symmetry, balance, colour value, the rule of space – the list goes on.
Having completed 5 previous mentorships, I must say that for me, Seeing Composition and The Isolation Mentorship programmes were the most challenging. I was initially given the tools in Camera Basics: Beyond Auto – (CB:BA – 1 and 2) which allowed me to start photographing in FULL MANUAL mode. I now have full control over my camera allowing me to produce an image as to the way that I want it to turn out.
After my first two basic mentorships (CB:BA), I found myself taking lots and lots of photos - practicing all the time - but as the individual I was not 100% happy with the final result –I am a bit of a perfectionist, I suppose!
I then went on to complete the Blurs and Unsharp Photography: Guided Play mentorship and this is where my compositional skills started to evolve. I was now becoming more aware of what a photo (my photos) should look like.
I am a member of two camera clubs in Johannesburg and have progressed from a 1 Star worker to a 4 Star worker with 5 being the highest and each ‘group’ and each has their own set of 3 criteria that needs to be met to satisfy a judge to qualify for a top image. I see these as very good guidelines for photography in general and for each of my shots I always have the following in the back of my head:.
THE CRAFT comprises,
1) Correct Exposure
2) Focus
3) Correct Post Processing
4) Picture Clean and well Presented
THE ART comprises:
1) Mastery of COMPOSITION
2) Impact
3) Knowledge of how and when to crop
4) Show and understanding of line, form and shape
THE VALUES comprise:
1) Emotion
2) Feeling
3) Empathy
4) Originality and
5) Decisive Moment
If there is anything that anyone would like add to these and put them in your toolbox, please fell free to do so as you are most welcome!
Finally I would really like to thank Pam Boling and ALL her Moderators plus the G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers for the opportunity, and for choosing me to be able to participate in yet another extremely fun, delightful and highly educational mentorship – SEEING COMPOSITION!! I would also like to say HI (not BI), again to all my friends that I met on this adventure and to thank you for all your support, fun times and friendship. This has really been a worthwhile experience.
Here are some of my photos that I took during the past 7 weeks.
I hope that you enjoy them as much as I am about to enjoy yours!!!
STAY FOCUSSED AND SEE ALL OF YOU AROUND ON G PLUS
https://plus.google.com/photos/101538859664624123317/albums/6127546016364655569?authkey=CNy9uau6tOa_iAE
Pam Boling - thank you for being such a wonderful lecturer Pam. I really did learn a lot from your instruction!
ReplyDeleteFantastic post Alan Mason love your guidelines, I'll have to save them somewhere.
ReplyDeleteTill next mentorship :)
Joanna Koziara - thank you ever so much Joanna. Why wait until the next mentorship - you can start using them today if you want.
ReplyDelete