"I know personally that I learned a tremendous amount, and I feel that I am not the same photographer I was at the...

"I know personally that I learned a tremendous amount, and I feel that I am not the same photographer I was at the beginning of this process. It went far beyond just learning the technical aspects of the camera -- although to be sure this was very important -- but also thinking about how to apply what we were learning to be creative and to get the shot we were imagining." -- Byron Sheldrick
Thanks, Byron, for this wonderful post, and also for your exceptional support and encouragement for your fellow participants in the Camera Basics: Beyond Automatic mentorship!
–––
For anyone who has read this far, consider mentoring someone else here (or more) ... some people don't even know where to start with their cameras and you could be the change they need in their lives. Even the smallest bit of knowledge can be passed on and you can create your mentorship in many different ways. Imagine the feeling of taking someone to their next level, paying forward the knowledge you've received and watching someone blossom with enthusiasm and accomplishment!
Originally shared by Byron Sheldrick
G+ Mentorships for Photographers; Camera Basics: Beyond Automatic 3
For the past 6 weeks I've been part of the Camera Basics: Beyond Automatic 3 mentorship. The experience has been nothing short of amazing and inspirational. The weekly lessons were guided by some incredible photographers and mentors, and the associated crew, helpers, and fellow mentees provided an incredibly supportive environment. Over the weeks there were lots of laughs, support when we hit a wall, and commiseration when we felt frustrated. The final results were nothing short of amazing.
I know personally that I learned a tremendous amount, and I feel that I am not the same photographer I was at the beginning of this process. It went far beyond just learning the technical aspects of the camera -- although to be sure this was very important -- but also thinking about how to apply what we were learning to be creative and to get the shot we were imagining. When I started, I would often shoot in AV or TV modes, but really didn't have the confidence to experiment, or to know when/how to change settings to suit the context. My camera is now firmly in M, and I haven't shot a photo that wasn't in manual setting for the past 4 weeks. In the future, full manual will be my default.
The mentorship also challenged me to shoot outside my comfort zone, and gave me the skills to successfully shoot photos that previously eluded me. Street photography, black and white, low light settings, using different metering techniques, macro shots, subjects in motion, night shots, flash photography were some of the things I tried. Some I had done before, others for the first time. For all of them, I have a better understanding of my camera, how it operates, and how this affects the photo I get. One other benefit, is that I've learned that great photo opportunities present themselves in lots of different ways. I shot a lot over the past 6 weeks, and to do that it meant my camera went everywhere with me. It will continue to be my travelling companion as I go through my day.
I hesitated about signing up for the mentorship; uncertain I had the time, uncertain I was "good enough". If you want to improve your photography, and have a great time with incredible people, don't hesitate. It is well worth the time and energy. I certainly will be looking for more G+ mentorships in the future. My chosen photo illustrates some of the things I learned in this process. Today was a dull, cloudy, and windy day. Shooting black and white conveys the feeling of the weather, but adjusting ISO, aperture, and shutter speed to get the right DOF, freeze motion, and yet deal with the low light, were all critically important.
Kudos to +Robin Griggs Wood, +Ron Clifford, and +Alex Lapidus for their hard work in keeping such an amazing initiative going. And thanks again to all the mentors, helpers, and mentees in the program. What an amazing group of people.
Comments
Post a Comment