"In six weeks, this Camera Basics Mentorship has taken us from AutoFocus captives to being in control of our cameras.

"In six weeks, this Camera Basics Mentorship has taken us from AutoFocus captives to being in control of our cameras.... The lessons we’ve learned here will reflect in our photos just like Death Valley's minerals reflect in the water." -- Debbie Drummond
Lovely photo and thought Debbie, thanks for joining us for the Camera Basics: Beyond Automatic program!
–––
For anyone who has read this far, consider mentoring someone else here (or more) ... some people don't even know where to start with their cameras and you could be the change they need in their lives. Even the smallest bit of knowledge can be passed on and you can create your mentorship in many different ways. Imagine the feeling of taking someone to their next level, paying forward the knowledge you've received and watching someone blossom with enthusiasm and accomplishment!
Originally shared by Debbie Drummond
Google+ Mentorship - Camera Basics: Beyond Automatic 3 Mentorship
An invitation from the G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers caught my eye a couple of months ago. It offered a six week mentorship to help you move beyond Auto Focus/Camera Basics to shooting in the big M - Manual Focus. I applied and kept my fingers crossed. What a thrill to get the notification that I made the list...
Bought my first good camera decades ago, Before Digital Age. Each time I bought a new camera it had manual focus as well as auto. Famous refrain, "can use the auto until I learn to use manual".
When I bought my current camera, a friend shared how he learned to shoot. He took the owner’s manual and went through a new function each day. Have you ever tried reading an owner’s manual? When I spotted the G+ invite, I still didn’t have a clue about apperture, shutter speed, and all that good stuff.
In six weeks, this Camera Basics Mentorship has taken us from AutoFocus captives to being in control of our cameras. We've discovered that manual focus allows us to do so much more than auto.
The mentorship introduced us to new friends from all over the world. We’ve shared our experiences and ideas on each assignment. We've shared deadline anxiety, fear of flash and many laughs along the way. I’m going to miss the Mentors and Mentees who have made this such an excellent experience. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I get accepted for the next one and run into them again.
The Mentors couldn't have been more generous in sharing their knowledge. *If you should ever have the chance to participate in one of the G+ mentorship programs, you should go for it*. This one has been the best learning experience. And did I mention it was free?
A big shout out to Robin Griggs Wood, Ron Clifford and Alex Lapidus for putting together such a great program. Honestly, without CBBA, I might have gone another 20 years as an Auto-Focus slave. .
For my graduation post, I picked a shot that I took at Death Valley’s Badwater Basin. It was shot in manual focus and un-edited. I picked this one because I loved the reflections in the water, especially of the larger opening in the salt crystals. Felt like a deep hole you could fall into. The lessons we’ve learned here will reflect in our photos just like Death Valley's minerals reflect in the water.
You've become one of my favorite photogs debi scott. Looking forward to more of your captures.
ReplyDeleteWonderful job, Debbie Drummond . Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThanks Darcee McCutcheon The mentorship has opened up a new realm of things to do with a camera ;)
ReplyDelete